Saturday, May 30, 2009

Japanese Dolphin Cruelty

Something needs to be said: When I established this blog, My idea in writing stories was simply to share the humor and joy that I found in my everyday life, I wanted to be able to write about the funny and humorous things that I experience as I live my life as well as share stories from my time spent as a Father, Firefighter and EMT. While at work yesterday I was shown a video by one of my co-workers which I found to be quite disturbing, At first I wondered if something like that could actually happen, And while, As and EMT and Firefighter, I often have to put my emotions aside and do my job to the best I can, I was hit pretty hard by the idea that this is actually happening.

I am in no way a vegetarian, and I do believe that some animals were put on the earth for the purpose of meat, but I warn you, that some of the images in the links and videos here are disturbing, and I hope that I won't lose readership by blogging about this sensitive subject, I told myself that I'd stay away from subjects like this on my blog when I started, and you'll have to forgive me as I stray from the usual because, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE SAID:

In Japan, Thousands of Dolphins are brutally slaughtered every year, Japanese fishermen use fishing boats drive long steel poles into the water and bang on them, messing with the sonar of the dolphins, this herds them into a small private cove where they are kept in nets together to "Tenderize" their meat, and are then herded into a smaller cove where they are brutally slaughtered. "Once trapped inside the cove, the fishermen kill the dolphins by slashing their throats with knives or stabbing them with spears. The water turns red with their blood, and the air fills with their screams." Fishermen say that the dolphins are killed quickly and humanely but this is an outright lie, What really goes on is completely savage, It is said that The Japanese believe that the more cruel an animal dies, the better its meat will taste.



Dolphins, in my opinion are human-like sea creatures, These dolphins often have more caring and human-like characteristics than some Human people do, This is shown where and when dolphins are un-willing to abandon a family or clan member that is hurt, Which is one of the reasons that make this so cruel. "We don’t kill the dolphins primarily for their meat. We kill them as a form of pest control" - Japanese fishermen stated. It's simply a matter of the fact that they see dolphins as "Pests" because they eat fish. What makes matters worse is the fact that Dolphin and Whale meat is tainted with Mercury and not fit for Human Consumption, However, it is being sold to Japanese schools and fed to school children. I should mention that the Japanese citizens are completely unaware of the fact that they are eating this meat because they are not being warned about it. Much of the dolphin meat ends up on Japanese streets as counterfeit whale meat which is considered to be a delicacy in Japan.

Recently, A group of Journalists won a media award for exposing this crime and cruelty to the world, By utilizing hidden camera's they were able to expose the truth. I think this award is well deserved and I firmly believe that something needs to be done!


I hope that you will visit http://www.savejapandolphins.org/ to learn more and find more information for yourself. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment