Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Truth About Manhood.

With school and all the other junk I have to do I haven't been blogging as much as I'd like to, As you'll probably note many of my recent posts have been about things I've learned while in Paramedic school. For this post I want to focus on one of the other things I established this blog to write about...

This post is going to be about Manhood and Fatherhood in general... A few things that other husbands and fathers out there may not want their wives to actually know... So; Wives, Women, Ladies: Read up...

My experience is that Men for the most part actually LIKE to clean things, Especially appliances, Fridges, Stoves, Dishwashers, AND One appliance in particular, Yep... GRILLS! It is my belief that men are hardwired with an empowerment to remove anything stuck on, charred on, gummed up that inhibits the proper use of something, Anything really, This empowerment extends far beyond simply fixing or cleaning something and goes into the ranks of politics, projects, relationships, Etc.. I guess the point is that we like to see things work the way we think they should.

Believe it or not: I would go as far as to say that there is the inherent point of view in most men that it is within our responsibility to chisel, scrape, degrease, dissolve, scrub, polish, and clean anything until it works like we think it should... Men like to know how things work: I've often been guilty of taking something apart only to rarely remember exactly how to put it back together, but that hardwired determination to have something work as it should and to make that happen lies somewhere in the core of every man, and it DOES include cleaning.. This characteristic is most likely developed as a part of the maturity that is needed for a successful marriage and fatherhood.

The sad fact of matter is that simply; Men are easily distracted and many things often get in the way of our doing these things but when we finally get down to it – We don’t stop until the thing is devoid of any rust or food remains or gunk, all rust has been solved, and it’s sanitized and smells fresh.

(Ladies:) It may take some coaxing, but when it happens; Watch the magic and be greatful. (A little Tip:) Show a man the tools of the trade and you’re one HUGE step closer to getting his head in the refrigerator for something other than a snack! I mean come on, What guy doesn't LOVE tools? Brushes made of metal wire with blades as wide as a hand, chemicals that require protective gear, Etc. These aren’t “gadgets”, they are just some of the more gritty weapons a man has within his arsenal for the care and protection of his family! Cleaning a grill is like a playground for most guys; Tough tools, concentrated solvents, volatile fuels, FIRE! What more could a man want when it comes to maintenance?

There is a great sense of satisfaction that comes with turning something from gunky and gross to clean. For me it comes down to man vs machine, and I win every time: Especially when the appliance is mine! Now; If you are a Man reading this and thinking of calling B.S. on me right now, I challenge you to go take a look inside your oven, fridge, microwave... Now tell me that you actually aren't thinking of cleaning them up yourself, Is is not worth your time to clean it if not only for the sake of your family's health?

My wife was born with a great cleaning instinct in the first place so I don't often find myself needing to clean the grit and grime off an appliance, However when that chance arises, I'm often glad, Happy even, to get the job done as long as I have the proper tools and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment